SQL: Fundamentals of Querying
This SQL training course provides attendees with fundamental skills to use a range of queries to retrieve and analyse data from databases using SQL.
No events to show
This course introduces attendees to querying with SQL. You will learn how to connect to a SQL database and execute a range of queries to retrieve and analyse data.
The course will cover a variety of functions including date calculations, aggregate functions, string manipulations and more.
The following skills and knowledge are required for attendance to this course:
- Basic end-user computer skills
- Familiarity with database terminology and structure
- Some experience with data manipulation using a tool like Microsoft Excel
- Executing a Simple Query
- Performing a Conditional Search
- Working with Functions
- Organising Data
- Retrieving Data from Tables
- Presenting Query Results
When the participant completes this course they will be able to:
- Connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- Include a search condition in a simple query.
- Use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- Organize data obtained from a query before it is displayed on-screen.
- Retrieve data from tables.
- Format an output, save a result, and generate a report.
Executing a Simple Query
- Connect to the SQL Database
- Query a Database
- Save a Query
- Modify a Query
- Execute a Saved Query
Performing a Conditional Search
- Search Using a Simple Condition
- Compare Column Values
- Search Using Multiple Conditions
- Search for a Range of Values and Null Values
- Retrieve Data Based on Patterns
Working with Functions
- Perform Date Calculations
- Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions
- Manipulate String Values
- Organizing Data
- Sort Data
- Rank Data
- Group Data
- Filter Grouped Data
- Summarize Grouped Data
- Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators
Retrieving Data from Tables
- Combine Results of Two Queries
- Compare the Results of Two Queries
- Retrieve Data by Joining Tables
- Check for Unmatched Records
- Retrieve Information from a Single Table Using Joins
Presenting Query Results
- Save the Query Result
- Generate an XML Report
This course is intended for attendees who are involved with reporting / data manipulation who would like to extend upon their skills to query data from databases using SQL.