SQL: Fundamentals of Querying
This SQL training course provides attendees with fundamental skills to use a range of queries to retrieve and analyse data from databases using SQL.
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
This course introduces attendees to querying with SQL. You will learn how to connect to a SQL database and execute a range of queries to retrieve and analyse data.
The course will cover a variety of functions including date calculations, aggregate functions, string manipulations and more.
The following skills and knowledge are required for attendance to this course:
- Basic end-user computer skills
- Familiarity with database terminology and structure
- Some experience with data manipulation using a tool like Microsoft Excel
- Executing a Simple Query
- Performing a Conditional Search
- Working with Functions
- Organising Data
- Retrieving Data from Tables
- Presenting Query Results
When the participant completes this course they will be able to:
- Connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- Include a search condition in a simple query.
- Use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- Organize data obtained from a query before it is displayed on-screen.
- Retrieve data from tables.
- Format an output, save a result, and generate a report.
Executing a Simple Query
- Connect to the SQL Database
- Query a Database
- Save a Query
- Modify a Query
- Execute a Saved Query
Performing a Conditional Search
- Search Using a Simple Condition
- Compare Column Values
- Search Using Multiple Conditions
- Search for a Range of Values and Null Values
- Retrieve Data Based on Patterns
Working with Functions
- Perform Date Calculations
- Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions
- Manipulate String Values
- Organizing Data
- Sort Data
- Rank Data
- Group Data
- Filter Grouped Data
- Summarize Grouped Data
- Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators
Retrieving Data from Tables
- Combine Results of Two Queries
- Compare the Results of Two Queries
- Retrieve Data by Joining Tables
- Check for Unmatched Records
- Retrieve Information from a Single Table Using Joins
Presenting Query Results
- Save the Query Result
- Generate an XML Report
This course is intended for attendees who are involved with reporting / data manipulation who would like to extend upon their skills to query data from databases using SQL.