Power BI Essentials Level 2
This level 2 Power BI course will help existing Power BI users to learn more advanced techniques to transform, model, visualise and publish data.
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
This hands-on course will provide existing Power BI users with with more advanced skills to use Microsoft Power BI Platform to model and transform data, create visualisations and publish to the Power BI service.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Use Power Query to combine, duplicate and reference a query
- Describe various best-practice data models
- Join tables in various ways
- Create a variety of calculations using DAX
- Use a variety of data visualisation techniques, including drill down and drill through
- Create reports with custom visuals and custom slicers
- Create reports with map visualisations
- Use Key Influencer Visuals
- Understand the role of Workspaces and Apps in the Power BI Service
This course is suitable for students who have existing skills in Power BI and want to extend their knowledge.
This course assumes completion of the Power BI Essentials Level 1 course or equivalent knowledge.
Each course day will involve a virtual classroom session that runs over 4 hours to maximise participant engagement
and learning effectiveness.
The course will be delivered using a blended learning approach that combines the following teaching methods:
- Short pre-class reading or exercises to prepare participants for the virtual classroom sessions
- Live virtual classroom sessions delivered using an advanced online training and collaboration platform and dedicated Slack channel.
- Short in-class practical exercises using small virtual breakout groups of two or three participants to collaboratively practice specific skills and techniques
- In-class mini-projects that allow participants to combine a number of specific skills and techniques to create an example of real world analytics content
The virtual classroom sessions include frequent practical interactive sessions and short breaks. The course is taught by trainers who are experienced teachers and experts in the Power BI Suite and the broader analytics profession.
Transforming Data with Power Query II
- Duplicating a Query
- Referencing a Query
- Difference between Duplicating and Referencing a Query
- Viewing Query Dependency
- Copying Queries across Reports
- Appending Queries
- Understanding Joins
- Merging Queries
Data Modeling II
- Facts and Dimensions
- Types of Data Models
- Flat Table Model
- Star Schema Model and Differences to Snowflake Schema
- Slowly changing, role playing and conformed dimensions
- Join types and cardinality
- Joining tables
- Data Modeling Best Practices
Creating Calculations using DAX
- What is DAX?
- Difference between Excel Functions and DAX
- Difference between M Language and DAX
- Calculated Columns
- Calculated Measures
- Regular Functions vs Iterator Functions
- Regular Functions
Data Visualisation II
- Creating and Using Unichar characters
- Synchronizing slicers across a report
- Using the Selection Pane
- Using the Bookmark Pane
- Using Conditional Formatting based on Slicer Selection
- Using Drill Down
- Using Drill Through
Custom Visuals, Slicers and Infographics
- Obtaining and Using Custom Visuals
- Obtaining and Using Custom Slicers
- Creating an Ultimate Decomposition Tree
- Visualizing Changing Rankings
- What are Infographics?
- Using Infographics Designer
Data Visualisation - Maps
- What are Map Visualizations?
- Data Transformation needed for accurate mapping
- Setting appropriate Data Types for Spatial Data
- Creating Bubble Map Visuals using Bing Maps
- Formatting Options available with Bing Maps:
- Creating Filled Maps
- Creating Map Visual by using ArcGIS by ESRI
- Creating a Globe Map
Using Key Influencer Visuals
- What are AI Visuals?
- Getting Started
- Using Key Influencer Visual
- Using Q&A to Explore Data
- Using Power BI’s Recommendation Engine for Questions
Power BI Service - Workspace and Apps
- What is a Workspace App?
- Content Management
- Targeted Audience
- Different Levels of Access for the same Content
- Creating an App Workspace
- Assigning Permissions in an App Workspace
- Collaborating on Shared Reports
- Sharing Reports Using App