Analytics Fundamentals Training
This analytics fundamentals training course provides core knowledge about analytics, and how to successfully work with analytics in an organisation.
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
The purpose of the Analytics Fundamentals course is to provide attendees with a common foundational knowledge about data and analytics generally, and how to implement analytics within their organisation.
After completing the course all attendees will have a common understanding of key analytics terms, what analytics is, how analytics used in organisations, and what leads to a successful analytics implementation.
- Analytics and the Business Landscape
- Data-driven Decision Making
- Analytics Case Studies
- Analytics Success Factors
- The Analytics Environment: People, Culture and Structure
- The Analytics Environment: IT Systems, Technologies and Tools
- Evolutionary Development
- Analytics Adoption Factors
- Introduction to Data Visualisation
This course will provide attendees with a general understanding of:
- The use of analytics within the business landscape
- Data-driven decision making
- How analytics is used to support data-driven decision-making (DDDM)
- Factors influencing analytics success
- The people, cultural and structural aspects of the analytics environment
- Why people use BI tools
- IT systems, technologies and tools within the analytics environment
- Evolutionary analytics development and its benefits
- Factors influencing analytics adoption
Analytics and the Business Landscape
What is data and why is a strategic asset for organisations?
- What is Analytics? How are data used to make decisions?
- A Brief History of BI and Context
- What are the key types of analytics and when should each type be used?
- Data-driven Decision Making
Insight creation vs. decision support
- How do people make decisions?
- Bias in data-driven decision-making
- The levels and types of business decisions and how they are supported with analytics
Analytics Case Studies
- Case Study 1
- Case Study 2
Analytics Success Factors
- Overview of the 10 Analytics success factors
The Analytics Environment: People, Culture and Structure
- Analytics system governance and stakeholders
- Structure of analytics teams
- Use of analytics in organisations
- Who are the analytics stakeholders and how do we understand them?
- Analytics team skills and structure
- Establishing and analytics culture in an organisation
The Analytics Environment: IT Systems, Technologies and Tools
- Overview of the data landscape
- Data sources
- Data challenges
- Data transformation and integration
- Data structure (Data lake, data warehouse, data mart, etc.)
- Artificial intelligence and advanced analytics
- The analytics <–> business feedback loop
- Evolutionary analytics development
- Benefits of evolutionary development
- Evolutionary development vs. agile development
- Example of evolutionary development
Analytics Adoption Factors
- Why is user adoption important?
- What factors drive adoption?
- Human factors
- Usability and design factors
- Data and infrastructure factors
Data Visualisation Design
- Data visualisation is communication for a technology
- Best practice chart design based on understanding human interpretation
Recap and Questions