Introduction to Data Visualisation and Storytelling
This course provides attendees the knowledge and experience to create compelling data visualisations and data stories your business users love to use.
Classroom: 1 day | Remote: 4 x 2 hour sessions
The success of an analytics system is judged by the value it provides to the business users it was designed to support. Those business users, to a large degree, judge the value and trustworthiness of the analytics system on the quality of the user interface they interact with. While the analytics platform an organisation chooses plays some part in the business users’ assessment, most of their assessment is based on the usefulness and usability of the data visualisations and dashboards displayed by the platform.
An organisation could have created the most complete and accurate analytics system possible and chosen the most suitable data visualisation platform available, but if the data visualisations and data stories created by analysts are poor and do not help the business users make better decisions the entire project will be considered a failure by the business.
This workshop provides attendees with knowledge of and practical experience with the best practices for the design and development of data visualisations and data stories that business users will trust, use and value.
Participants completing this workshop will be able to:
- Use knowledge of human visual and thinking processes to guide the design of attractive and effective data visualisations and data stories
- Explain how data visualisations and data stories support analytics and data-driven decision making
- Choose the correct form to communicate data and information simply, clearly and accurately to business users
- Apply best practice design principles to the design of data visualisations and data stories
- Use decision-driven design and evolutionary development to create data visualisations and data stories that are useful for business users
- Interact with business users to gather the correct requirements for data visualisation and data stories